Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Computer9f <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:32:04 -0500
I don't use "Open With" on .rtf  files.  I set the FileType .rtf  to automatically always open with WordPad when a document with the extension RTF is double-clicked.  Here's how to do that....

I don't know what OS you use, but I use XP SP2.  If you use Vista, the instructions should at least be similar.

On my PC, WordPad is located ...

                C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe

If you don't see it there, then run a Search on drive C: (the magnifying glass under Start) to find it, so you will know where it is, in case you have to browse for it.  (I keep a copy on my flashdrives in case Microsoft yanks it on an "UPgrade - as has happened with some of my favorite fonts.)  You might want to put a copy of  wordpad.exe  into the above location, if you happen to find it somewhere else.

                            =======================

If you haven't put a "folders options" button on your folders toolbar, then (in an open folder) click on menu bar item "Tools" then on "Folder Options" (bottom of the drop-down) and then choose the "File Types" tab.

Scroll down until you see, under "Extensions", the extension "RTF" (they are in alphabetical order).  Click/Highlight that item.

Down under "Details for 'RTF' extension" you will probably see "Microsoft Office Word" - if so, click the "Change" button.  (If it says "WordPad" instead of "..Word"  then just exit out here - I don't know what the problem is.)

When you click the "Change" button, you get a window listing possible program choices for RTF files.

If "WordPad" is not listed under the "Recommended Programs" or "Other Programs" lists, then click the Browse button and locate "wordpad.exe" and choose it for the "RTF" extension.  Put a checkmark in the box beside "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK.

You are returned to the "File Types" window where you should click "Apply" and then "Close"  Every document with extension "rtf"  should now open with WordPad, automatically, when double-clicked.

Wordpad is in my "OpenWith" context menu, but the only way I know to put it there involves editing the XP registry.  Perhaps someone else knows an "authorized" way to do this using Windows features?

Thanks again to the poster who described how to have WordPad come up with MY choice of default fonts and settings.  It was just not possible with a registry edit - apparently the default font is hard-coded in the program.  It's working great - Thank you for sharing that idea.

AnnaSummers