Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:26:32 -0400
At 11:07 AM 7/1/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I use a Sony Digital Handycam model DCR-TRV320 and Studio DV Version
>1.2.6.0 via firewire to save and edit video. The problem that I have is
>that even at Studio DV's highest resolution (720X480); the video in my

Your quality is limited by the CCD of your Camcorder (the total K and total
number of CCDs). I have the exact same model as yours and the quality
varies depending on your setting (outdoors look much better than low light
indoor situation). To be frank, Digital 8 does not produce as good video as
some cheaper priced miniDV camcorders. It's said that it does not have the
same vibrant colors as Hi 8 camcorders either. I bought it because of its
ability to convert analog video to DV and cheaper price on tapes (which
isn't as much difference nowadays).

If you really want high quality, you have to look at 3 CCD miniDV
camcorders. Besides the camcorder, lighting is the key component for good
video. You have to make sure the lighting is good where you shoot the video
or even the 3 CCD ones won't help too much.

>opinion is still very poor. I would like to archive this video on both
>CDs and DVDs at the same resolution as the original.

It's probably not possible with CD if you want similar quality as your DV.
13.5GB per hour DV won't magically fit on a CD. You have to convert it to
another format to be saved on CD. The most popular method is to make Super
VideoCD (480X480) or VideoCD (352X240) so that you can watch it on TV with
a DVD player. If you have a DVD recorder, you can backup your DV into DVD
You convert DV to MPEG2 and make DVD with a DVD recorder. The cost is
probably $400- $500. It's very labor intensive thing to do. For example,
compressing an 1 hour DV to MPEG1 with some filters one takes 48 hours with
TMPGEnc. You have to have huge space and fast computer to do all these
things. I saw in a commercial that there is a DVD recorder that you can
directly record tape to DVD like you're recording a video tape. That would
save you tons of time.

>Does anyone know if the resolution is a limitation of the Camcorder, or
>the Studio DV software? In other words, if I purchased better software,
>could I record onto my system and media at full resolution or is this
>not possible with my camcorder and firewire.

The simple answer is no. DV is DV. You're not capturing it. You're only
transfer the digital information from tape to HD. No software will make it
any better from your camcorder. A different CODEC (compressor,
decompressor) like the ones from Canopus hardware or MainConcept may help
but it's not too much. Resolution is the same no matter what camcorder you
uses. DV is always 720X480 (for NTSC).

Hope this helps,

Changhsu Liu

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: