Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:47:22 -0500
At 09:43 12/19/07, Jeff Long wrote:
>I have encountered similar problems on 2 computers on our office
>network, both running XP Home. This issue began a week ago when
>I installed Microsoft's latest security patches. Another machine,
>also running XP Home does not have the latest security patches
>and it is not generating these errors.
>
>This leads me to think this is caused by the security patches.
>
>No solution, other than rebooting after several tries...
>If this is caused by the patches, perhaps MS will correct.

I use Windows 2000 with IE6 SP1 (version 6.0.2800.1106). After
applying this December's hot fixes (via Windows Update), my IE6
began freezing on me every time I'd browse the web for more
than a few minutes.

Since the problem started soon after I had used Windows Update
to get the December patches, I suspected that one of Decembers
patches was the problem. I went into the C:\WINNT folder and
looked for the most recent sububfolder with a name like
"$NtUninstallKB...". In this case the folder was
"KB942615IE6SP120071029.120000$". (This folder name may be
spelled wrong because I scribbled it down on an envelope and
now, days later, I can hardly read my writing.)

   [WINNT is the WINDOWS folder if yours is an update installation
   of windows. Most hotfixes have an uninstall subfolder in the
   Windows folder where replaced files are stored in case you
   have to uninstall that hotfix. You can tell which of these
   folders is the latest because it will usually have the largest
   number following the "KB" in the folder name. Or you can
   rearrange the folders in your WINDOWS or WINNT folder by date.]

I noticed (in Control Panels's "Add Remove Programs") that I had
"Windows 2000 Hotfix KB942615" for IE6SP1 installed. When I
removed it, my browsing problem was gone. (Note also that there's
an uninstall command file located inside each hot fix's folder.)

If you check out <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615/en-us>
(find it by going to Microsoft's Knowledge Base search webpage,
whose link Microsoft keeps changing), you see that for KB942615,
Microsoft states "Known issues. After you install security update
942615 on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2,
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 may crash when you try to visit a
Web site." Obviously it doesn't work too well in Windows 2000
either.

I read somewhere else that Microsoft hopes to include a fix for
this in January's set of Windows Update patches. In the meanwhile,
you can uninstall the KB942615 hotfix using "Add/Remove Programs".

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml