Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:21:19 -0600
Kshitiz Chandra writes:

<<Recently when I boot my computer,it  boots to a blank (black) screen
with an hourglass at the center >>

Try running Msconfig.exe, click the Startup tab, and temporarily untick ALL
programs running at startup except Systray.

Reboot and see if any improvement.  If not, get back into Windows if you
can, check with Ctrl/Alt/Del to see if there's anything other than Explorer
and Systray running.  Try to disable anything else that might be trying to
start at startup.  Also deactivate Active Desktop if you are running it.

Is your computer by any chance a Compaq or HP?  Seems that these often come
with a whole lot of stuff configured to run at startup, including (Compaq)
their own proprietary "Crash-proof" stuff, the main effect of which as far
as I can see is, more often than not, to stuff up your computer.  One would
have to ask why Compaq feel it is necessary to include this in the first
place.  At least, that seems to be the situation from what I've seen in
this country (Australia).  May be different in yours.

If all is now well, then you could add back those programs you really do
want running all the time, one at a time, until you find the culprit.

<<Sometimes it
boots to a screen with a changed display settings(both the color and screen
area).I have to reset it>>

That's normal.  When you go into Safe Mode, the computer opens in the
lowest possible resolution, and that remains when you reboot, so you have
to reset everything.  You can get a freeware utility like Ezydesk which
will remember and restore all your desktop layout the way you had it.

Don Penlington

Visit my Web pages: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Fractals, poetry, free icons and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcsoft.html