Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:25:46 -0700
I am in the process of archiving my VHS tapes using my Matrox Marvel G200.
I am importing the tapes, and then encoding them in mpeg-1, and then I want
to edit out commercials. I get one high quality hour of video to a 650 meg
CD, and I am happy with that.

I have tried different programs to edit the video, and the easiest one to
use for a novice like me is Microsoft's Movie Maker. What makes it easy is
that I can import the file and it is automatically displayed, in it's
entirety, in one big window, in a storyboard type series of 5 second
clips.  After which I can delete a clip or split it. Once I have the clips
exactly like I want them, I just move it to the storyboard and save it as a
movie. But here is where I run into a problem.

Of course Movie Maker only uses Microsoft wmv formats. There are lots of
different compression levels to choose from, but they are all designed for
a computer screen, and or streaming video, and all end up as a wmv files.
This was Ok with me when I was working with "Dr. Katz Professional
Therapist " , which is a  animated cartoon. The VHS recording was mono, and
the video quality wasn't all that important since it was a cartoon. I
wanted to get really high compression rates, and the wmv format allowed me
a excellent picture at around 110 megs for 21+ minutes of video. Of course,
I don't intend to output these recordings back to VHS, or directly to TV again.

But on my other VHS recordings, I would like to stay with mpeg-1 because of
it's high quality, and it's wide spread compatibility, both now and in the
future. In fact, after I have saved a wmv file, and then tried to import it
into say Adobe Premier 6.0, it doesn't recognize the format.
This is exactly what I am trying to avoid with my archival.

  Of course, this is all Microsoft's attempt to dictate the video formats
to the market place.....an attempt that has apparently failed. in as much
as they have agreed to a new defacto standard.

In any case, I am looking for a video editing program that works like this,
but will allow me to stay with mpeg-1. I have tried to do this with Premier
6 but it is nowhere near as easy.There is a sliding bar that I have to cut
and move clips to a storyboard. I have found this very hard to work with
...particularly at high 1600 X 1200 resolutions. It is much more difficult
then the Movie Maker clip method...unless I am doing something wrong?

Is anybody familiar with Microsoft's Movie Maker, and can recommend a
similar mpeg-1 editor?
Does anybody know of a good list for video editing?

thanks
Mark Rode

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>