Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:46:18 -0600
Well, I doubt if you will be able to find anything.  This is one of those "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" problems.  Meaning that your limit is the sheer number of bytes of information you are trying to move from one place to another.  Add in the overhead needed to locate and read the information from one drive and to find free space for and write the information and save directory information about the new file and you've increased the problem by orders of magnitude.  There just is no way to defy the laws of physics and the programming details involved.  The fastest way possible to move large amounts of data from one physical disk to another is to simply copy the entire partition - which is what many disk installation programs will do for you.  By doing this, you remove the overhead of managing the directory information on either end.  The program does not bother to look at the disk at that level and just copies the disk byte-by-byte from one disk to the other.  But once you've done that, then you have to delete the files you don't want from the second disk - which raises the time and labor required back to the level of any other method.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brendhan Horne
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2000 10:22 PM
  Subject: [PCSOFT] moving big files

  Okay Here's one How do I move a 4gig file from my physical C: to my physical D: without it taking forever ? If there is a program on the market that would it that would be ok I just need to know which one. I am running win98se and am looking to move my mp3's over to a seperate harddrive. Thanks, Brendhan Horne

                         http://nospin.com/rode