Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Orf Bartrop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:05:52 +1000
Tom,

I have included below an excerpt from the Introduction and Usage Notes
(right click icon in Taskbar and select Information) that may explain
what FreeRAM is attempting to do. The crux of the matter is that to free
RAM, the program shifts data to the Swap File.

Your list of  memory leakages may not in fact be actual memory leakages.
Logic tells me that the programs you mentioned would be expected to run
more than once during a session, therefore they leave certain data in
memory knowing that probably it would be required again, thus making
those programs run faster.

If, however, you start to run out of RAM then FreeRAM will move some of
the data to the Swap File but until that time it will not free up RAM.
It appears that FreeRAM cannot distinguish between real memory leakage
and perceived leakage resulting from a program that has deliberately
left data in memory.

Orf

"The new AutoFree is smarter in that it scales how much it frees
according to virtual memory usage and the number of
processes/applications open at the time. This is in response to some
user complaints that the AutoFree option freed up too much RAM, pushing
extra data to the swap file and slowing down their systems. Therefore,
if you already have a reasonable block of RAM available, or if your
computer is currently heavily taxed, then depending on your current
system status, AutoFree may not free up any additional RAM at all. This
ensures an optimal balance between RAM availability and the amount of
data reallocated on the swap file. Even though the AutoFree in older
versions may have freed up more actual RAM, the improved AutoFree
ensures a higher level of overall system performance. If you would still
like to free up more RAM, it is still possible to set the amount
manually, or you can choose to enable the old AutoFree engine (found in
Lite and Pro 1.1x) via the Settings."

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml