Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Joe Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:52:54 +0200
Let me first say I have no opinion whatever of WordPerfect having not
used it since 5.1.  (I see the comparison between the two as just
another of those "holy wars" like UNIX vs NT, token-ring vs ethernet,
VHS vs Betamax.  One side always wins in the end but not necessarily for
any of the reasons that were argued.)

However I can't resist joining in this thread because I take exception
to the following:

>To illustrate:
>Go in to the middle of a paragraph in a Word document and select
>2,3, or a dozen words.  Now turn on bold, then turn on underlining,
>now turn off bold, now turn on italics and turn off underlining, and
>finally turn off the italics.
>
>Even though they are now inactive, ALL those codes are -=STILL=-
>embedded in the document (you can prove this by using the undo button
>to backup through all those changes.)  But there is  NO way to see
>or - more importantly - *remove* all the crud that is hidden in there.

So if I delete 20 pages from my document, they must still be there,
because the undo button works?  I disagree.  The codes are not there,
and you can prove this by saving the document and reloading it ... you
will not be able to undo the changes.

>Granted, that's a pretty extreme example--

A better example would be frames and drawing objects (maybe tables too).
 Word has done a good job of helping users see the formatting without
having to descend into a programming mindset, but it's not complete (and
probably could never be).  Many mystifying things happen with frames and
drawing objects and I would really like to see Word's logic in how it
changes its mind on the page location of a frame when I make some
irrelevant change elsewhere.

Kind regards
Joe