Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:45:27 -0700
Barbara writes:

<<when I click on some web =
links the browser goes to the site; but the page is blank. It says Done =
on the bottom left.>>

I think it happens to all of us at times. Hitting F5 (reload) should
usually fix it.

I've never got to the bottom of it, but I suspect there might be several
possible explanations.

Here's my guesses:

1. As it seems more likely to occur after longish periods of browsing and
related activity, possibly your computer is running low on resources and
there's insufficient free memory to cache the downloaded pages.  Check
resources if this happens frequently, if below 60% then maybe you have too
much running in the background.  Remember, some a-v programs are notorious
resource hogs. suspect any so-called "crash-proof" programs too.

2.Server is overloaded (yours or theirs). So download stops just before
completion, tricking the browser to think it's finished so you get the
"completed" message. Not much you can do about this, except browsing at
quieter times.

3. Something in the webpage content itself preventing display (such as a
lost or corrupted file?). Usually, but not always, you'd expect to see an
error message if this occurs (eg Java fault). The page may not be
compatible with your browser, though this shouldn't be common unless you're
visiting a lot of very old websites that haven't been updated for the newer
browsers in recent years.

4. Browser security settings too high, thus preventing complete download.
Normally you'd get an error message in this case.

5. If it happens often, maybe your ISP has too much traffic for its
capabilities. The cheaper the rates, the more likelihood there is of
overload, especially in early evening.  See if there's a pattern there.

6. There were bugs in early versions of IE6 where it was being run on older
systems---many people had to revert back to IE5x. Always helps with ALL
questions to state your OS.  I doubt this is the problem here.

7. Browser patches have to be treated with caution---can sometimes cause
unexpected results.
(Especially the IE security patches, which seem to have stopped many people
downloading all email attachments, judging from the number or questions in
this and other Digests!)

Presumably, as you give no more details, this occurrence is completely
random, and there is no pattern such as particular types of sites
(graphic-rich, Flash-activated, long or short download,  or whatever) or
times of browsing, so that I doubt it's anything to do with your browser
settings.

My impression is that by far the commonest reason is (2) above, especially
if F5 sometimes fixes it, or (4 and 7) if F5 doesn't help.

A clue is to watch the modem icon---if it is only flashing very
spasmodically, that generally indicates server overload somewhere along the
line.  Remember, the files have to pass thru many way-stations between the
source and your computer.  These are continually monitored and the route
may often get switched mid-stream.  Thus a temporary glitch anywhere along
the line can create some odd results occasionally.  To me, it's a miracle
that anything ever gets through at all.

I am, of course, assuming you are on dial-up modem and not cable, where
other considerations may apply.

Maybe someone can come up with a simpler explanation---I'd sure like to know.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml