Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:51:43 +1000
Arthur wrote:
>I recently installed a program named Fast Open. I
>deecided to install it but found that the Control Panel>Uninstall
>Programs did not have an entry for this program. Upon investigating the
>program folder I find that there is no Uninstall.exe or Unwise.exe file
>in the folder.>>

Not all programs need installing or uninstalling.  If this is in the nature
of a plugin, perhaps designed for completing the typing of filenames etc,
then it's probably a "stand-alone" and doesn't need to be uninstalled.

This type of program simply places files in the Program Files section of
your computer, so all you need to do is to delete them.

It is only when an installation involves making registry entries, or
placing files within the Windows structure that a full uninstall is needed.

Usually you can test this by moving its program folder to another location
on your computer, and then running it.  If it relies on registry entries,
it probably will not run after you've moved it.  If it will run from any
location, then it is a "standalone" and you are safe by just deleting the
folder.

The fact that it has no "uninstall" procedure built-in means almost
certainly that it is a stand-alone. Otherwise, it would be very poor
programming not to have any uninstall feature.

In any event, a few remnant leftovers in the registry or elsewhere won't do
any harm.

After you've removed it, it's always wise to check your startups (run
msconfig if you don't have anything better) to ensure there's nothing
relating to this program still in the startups lineup. Occasionally this
can happen, even after a "full" uninstall, in which case rebooting the
computer can be slowed right down, while XP is looking to start files that
no longer exist.

This is a very common cause of slow booting.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml