Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:20:03 +1000
Chuck wrote:
>This is the latest Spy ware Alert I just  received when I turned my laptop
>on. Worm.Win32.NetSky detected on your  machine. ....Once I click yes it
>takes me to either Ad  Ware Remover 2007 or Spy Ware cleaner. >>

If you don't have those programs installed, this is a common scam to trick
you into paying for some useless program. There are a lot of scam
anti-spyware programs like this which masquerade as genuine, but in fact
are not. Almost certainly, the message is false.

Sounds as if you have no anti-spyware protection running, and you have been
to a website which has allowed this malware to download into your computer
(this is done silently and you would not be aware of it until you see that
false message)

Any good antispyware program such as Spybot , AdAware, Windows Defender,
should be able to eliminate it on running a system scan.

If you have Symantec antivirus only, as you mention, it's not sufficient
protection against malware/spyware/trojans---the boundaries are blurred,
but these are different from viruses.

Your problem might be that if the particular scam/malware is well written,
and your antispyware updates are out of date or non-existent, it could
prevent detection by any subsequent malware updates.

In that case, you may have little option but to reformat your hard drive.
Some of these pests can be extremely difficult to remove, as they are often
self-replicating. You may find it easier just to live with the nuisance.

Googling the names might lead you to simple solutions.

Good luck.

By the way, never click the "Yes" button---that simply tells the author
that the thing has found an innocent unprotected victim, and you will be a
target for future attacks. So I suggest that you tighten up your computer
security.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html