Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:14:35 -0600
At 09:38 PM 6/21/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Recently I began to get text appearing on "Document 1" when I open Word;
>before I got just a nice blank "document 1"  I deleted the document
>containing the text from MyDocuments; but the text still mysteriously
>appears on document 1 when I initiate Word.  I suppose I must have done
>something to cause this; but I've been unable to figure out what I did or
>how to eliminate it.

I can duplicate your problem so I think I know what has happened.  The text
you are seeing is in your "normal.dot" template file.  Editing that file is
how you change the default settings for any new document - for example font
and font size.  Every time you see "document1.doc", it has been created by
making a copy of "normal.dot".  You can correct your problem in the
following manner:

Open Word.
Click on the Open icon in the toolbar.
In the file open dialog, change the "Files of type" at the bottom to
"Document templates (*.dot)".
Navigate to the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates"  This
assumes that you have installed Office 97 in its default directory.  If
not, go to the "Templates" directory where you installed Office 97.
You should see a file named "Normal.dot".  Open this file.
You should see the text that you see in "Document1.doc".
Press Ctrl-A to select all text and then Delete to delete the text.
Save the file and close Word.
When you re-open Word, "Document1.doc" should be empty.

If you have problems with this, please let us know and we can give you more
information.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html