Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 06:13:31 -0800
Subject:        Iomega Zip 100
After installation, I
noticed that my ZIP100 drive was no longer functioning properly. It was
being recognized and assigned a drive letter but when accessed, the zip
drive would just cycle.  I tried different ZIP disks, re-installing the
ZIP drive and/or the CD-ROM drive, checked the system device manager for
conflicts (IRQ and I/O settings), contacted IOMEGA Tech Assist and
verified that the drive itself is good.  Has anyone seen this type of
problem before?

Michael Smith
When you say it "cycles" you might be interested in the following.I copied
this from News.com. I have first hand experience with this on one disk so
far. I hope this isn't what you are experiencing :>(   After I posted to
one of the newsgroups, I received a mail from Iomega stating their concerns
and how to address the problem. These mails are mentioned in a later
News.com story. Good luck!
Brad Loomis
Morro Bay, CA
"Click of death" strikes Iomega [NL]By Paul Festa [NL]NEWS.COM [NL]January
30, 1998, 5:15 p.m. PT [NL]URL:
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,18622,00.html [PARA]update Users of
Iomega's Zip drives are reporting serious malfunctions in their drives and
disks in a problem that has come to be known as the "click of death."
[PARA]The problem is being discussed in several newsgroups, including
"alt.iomega.zip.jazz" and "comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc," as well as on
Web sites, such as the New Unofficial Iomega Page and the Click Death Home
Page. [PARA]Users report that, after a time, their Zip drives no longer
read disks and instead produce a loud clicking sound, from which the
problem gets its name. Afflicted units reportedly no longer work once they
get the "click of death," and numerous users reported damaged disks as well
as data loss. [PARA]The problem is not reported to be associated with
Iomega's new storage product for handheld devices, called Clik. [PARA]DJ
Breslin, a consultant and programmer at Intel, told NEWS.COM that, in the
past 18 months, he has lost five Zip drives to the "click of death"
problem. While he lauded Iomega's customer service department for replacing
his broken drives in each instance, he noted that the company had not
responded to a letter of complaint he sent in November. [PARA]Breslin said
Iomega's products were the most convenient to use because of their large
installed base, but said, "If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go with
Iomega. I wouldn't trust it." [PARA]Iomega today issued a statement saying
that "of the more than 12 million Zip drives shipped, Iomega is aware of a
small percentage of customer complaints, a number lower than industry
norms." [PARA]Iomega did not acknowledge the "click of death" problem. The
company's Web site, however, has a page that describe

          PCSOFT:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]