Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:03:20 -0800
The idea of a computer slowing down due to decompression of hard disk info
has a large flaw in it. Most computers today have a CPU which is much faster
than any other part of the hardware. A disk storage device is a VERY slow
part of a computer. Any time spent in decompression is usually more than
made up by the saving in data transfer from the disk. Remember that if the
information is compressed, there are fewer bytes to be transferred. Only if
there is little disk compression (such as in storing ZIP files which are
already compressed) will there be a net slowdown.

I am not saying that disk compression is safe, or better, but it is not
necessarily slower in operation. Personally, I have used disk compression,
and am currently using it under NT (but NT does it quite differently). I had
no problems. However, if the compressed file gets damaged, you may lose all
of your information!

Peter Shkabara
Computer Science Instructor, Rogue Community College
http://pyrite.wnmu.edu/~peter