Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:26:15 +1300
As a follow-up to my first post on this subject and after a bit more reseach, it looks like this problem is specific to Windows XP.

Dunno why I never tried this before but it occurred to me to try out some of my old CD's in my dual-boot Win98\XP workshop machine.

Sure enough, the CD's run fine in W98, displaying the autorun icon and label.  They even start quicker in W98.

But reboot into XP, insert the same CD's and no CD icon to be seen - just Microsoft's 'I have no idea what this program is' icon.

Obviously it's possible to get a CD to display an onboard icon because commercial disks do it.  For the moment it looks as though I'll have to remain baffled  .

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ian
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, January 02, 2004 10:48 AM
  Subject: [PCSOFT] Auto-running CD's

  I'm having trouble setting up a simple auto-run system to use on the data archive CD's I frequently create.

  All I want the thing to do is open the CD after it's inserted and display it's label and icon in My Computer.

  I set up such a system over 3 years back, when I was using W98, and it worked perfectly.  However, once I moved up to XP Pro, my CD's would auto-run ok, and display the CD title I'd assigned, but the icon won't show.

  Having a little more time on my hands during the holiday period, I thought I'd address this annoyance, but I'm no further ahead, in spite of trying out a dozen or so autorun menu and inf creators.

  However, one simple freeware program contained a help file to the effect that labels and icons won't display in XP.  Hmmmm......

  This doesn't make a lot of sense -  my commercial CD's, games etc, all contain their own icons, and these all display without a problem in My Computer.  Plus, my own primitive autorun system displays the disk title OK.

  But I'm baffled as to why I can't create an autorun that will display an icon of my choice.  I thought perhaps it might be that my 4-year-old Snoopy icon was outmoded in some way, so I tried substituting native XP icons.  But still no success.

  Suggestions would be appreciated.  Just a point - I don't need a program that opens the CD to the accompaniment of bells, whistles and a multimenued display -  all I want is for the CD to autorun, and in My Computer, show the CD name and icon.

  As I said, my system already does the first two ok - it's the lack of icon display that's a puzzlement.