Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 20:53:21 -0400
At 07:29 06/02/00, At Neethling wrote:
>I have Internet sharing running on my PC at home, which is connected
>with a
>LAN to my wife's PC.  She can, therefore, use the dail-up on my PC
>(through
>the LAN) to have access to the Internet.  Both PC's run on Windows 98
>second edition.  We now experience the problem that on my wife's PC, the
>hotlinks in Netscape will not work anymore.  In order to use it, you have
>to right-click on a link and the choose "Open in new window" in order to
>access the site.  She also, cannot cut-and-paste from Messenger anymore.

Hi Al

I had this exact same problem. It wasn't LAN related but was a corrupted
Netscape. That said, I forget exactly what caused it. (It was two months
ago.)

Try this...

Close Netscape. Hit <Ctrl><Alt><Del> and see if there is still a phantom
Netscape running. If so, kill it. Now reopen Netscape and see if it works
correctly. If so, you know what to look for in the future. (It will happen
again.) If not, read on.

It's always a good thing to delete your Netscape History, Memory Cache,
and Disk Cache when having Netscape problems. I don't think this
helped when my Netscape lost the ability to respond to clicks on
webpages links, but it's worth a try.

Do you run GetRight (an FTP program that is great at resuming broken
downloads...and a ton of other good things)? There is a setting which
allows GetRight to intercept Netscape clicks (on links). If you have
GetRight, turn this feature off in GetRight. If you used to run GetRight
but removed it, go to <http://www.getright.com/faq.html#del> and read
about the problem. Then either make the registry change or download their
utility that restores Netscape's ability to react to clicks by making the
registry change for you. Download and save
<http://www.xright.com/fix_nscp.zip>. Extract the reg file and run the
fix. (A prudent person would open the reg file with Notepad first to see
what it does. I just checked and it's safe.)

Maybe you should download this fix and run it even if you never ran
GetRight. It might help.

Are you running any shareware programs that run with advertising?
If so, remove them and then go to <https://grc.com/oo/program.htm
(read about it) and then download <https://grc.com/files/optout.exe>.
Run the program to clean your registry of advertising stuff.
These are notorious for causing browsing problems. (Note that the
newer versions of GetRight run in sponsered mode unless you register
the program.)

So how did I finally get rid of your problem on my system?

I remember I tried installing a different version of Netscape (I went
back to version 4.70 after using 4.72) on top of the old version but
the problem happened again after a few hours. So I returned to 4.72.
(There is now a 4.73 and I hear 4.74 is but days away. Most of the
differences in these versions are not with the browser but with the
email or AIM parts.) The point is, a quick reinstall might not help.

What finally get rid of the problem was completely deleting my Netscape
(I used the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and rebooted afterwards)
and then reinstalling from scratch into a different folder. Maybe this
replaced a corrupted file, or maybe it corrected a registry entry, or
maybe it was in my preferences file or... who knows. The problem has not
returned. If you don't want to install into a new folder, then delete
the old Netscape folder (after you uninstall Netscape) before reinstalling.
This will get rid of *all* files and settings. (Save your bookmarks first.)
Before removing the problem Netscape, I copied my User folder (it's in
/Program Files/Netscape) to a safe place so that I wouldn't lose
my bookmarks and cookies.

I then reinstalled Netscape 4.72 into a different folder. After Netscape
created my new User profile, I copied my old bookmarks and cookies files
into the new Users folder (actually into the subfolder of Users that
held my profile). Note that I don't use Netscape for mail or news and
so I didn't have to save anything there.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>