Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 00:09:21 +1000
Sharon writes:

<<I seem to get this message all the time that I am either low on virtual =
memory or have no virtual memory. I do not know how to eliminate the =
problem. I have downloaded software for more memory>>

First of all, we need to know which version of Windows you have. And
whether it has always been like this, or just started to appear lately.

The usual cause of this problem is having too many programs running at
once.  New computers tend to have so much running at startup by default,
that there's often very little memory left to run the programs you want.
This can also lead to crashes and general instability.

The only really essential things at startup are Explorer and Systray (XP
may be a little different). Disable everything else, and your computer will
really fly.

If you go to my website below, you'll see a tutorial in the computers
section on the places to look to eliminate from startup the stuff you don't
need to be running all the time. Or, in some versions of Windows, you can
open Msconfig.exe where you can control which programs you want to run at
startup.

Memory-enhancing software is not recommended--more likely it will make
matters worse, as running these programs just uses up more of your valuable
memory. They look impressive, but actually have very little real effect, if
any.

Try this:
Immediately after you have started your computer, open any folder and click
on Help/About Windows (XP might be different). There you can see your "free
resources" (which is really memory---sort of). Ideally, at startup this
figure should be about 90-97%. If it is below about 80%, you definitely
have too much running in the background eating up your memory resources. In
that case, you won't have enough gas in the tank to run any major software
for long.

Now try rebooting, this time with the Shift key held down just before the
desktop appears, and don't release it until all hard drive activity has
stopped. (This has the effect of bypassing most of your startup
programs).  Now see if there's any difference in free resources.

Adding more physical RAM (memory sticks) might help, depending on what you
already have and what system you are running.

Don Penlington
(From the at beach Surfers Paradise).
Free computer tutorials, fractals, icons, and beautiful Queensland beaches at
http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml