Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 05:14:18 +0200
On 20 Mar 2000, at 14:18, Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> At 3/17/00 04:09 AM +0200, Uzi Paz wrote:
>
> >I have Win98.
> >I can no longer save my DUN
> >password.
> >
> >Any suggestion as to explain what could make the difference, and how
> >to restore the situatuion that I had before the TCP host name change (I
> >tried to change the name back but it didn't help).
>
> I would try the standard trouble shooting for not being able to save
> passwords.  I copied this from somewhere:

Many thanks.

In fact, I have just yesterday solved the problem, although I wished to
hack things a bit before making a summary. I thought that my question
has been forgotten so I can delay my summary for a day or two, before
announcing my solution. At the moment I still have some wonders that I
should check, although I have the solution.

Internet, and could still save my passwords at DUN.
Removing the MFL and NetBIOS binding is both a security matter, and
an ideological matter.
Ideological: NetBIOS over TCP/IP is a server program that uses
protocols that are propriatery to Microsoft, and thus are useless outside
the Microsoft world. I prefer that there will be no propriatery de-facto low
layer standards that work only on specific operating systems on the
Internet.
Security: NetBIOS over TCP/IP, because it tied to specific operating
system, it is rarely used over the Internet, and I personally don't need it.
Yet, it is a server program that runs in the background, and thus a
possible place for security holes. Over the years a few security holes
were found on it that were related to it.

NetBIOS and MFL (including TCP/IP binding) are enabled by default
when you install Windows.
As long as you use MFL, or you bind it to the Internet, you cannot
disable NetBIOS (the checkbox is grayed and checked) binding to the
Internet.
If you try to remove the MFL protocol, you can disable the NetBIOS, but
you lose the option to save passwords in DUN.
If instead of removing MFL, you just choose Windows Logon, and
unbind MFL from NetBIOS, you can disable NetBIOS over the TCP/IP
(i.e. NetBIOS over the Internet).
After you do that, the next time you boot, MFL will disappear from
"Control_Pannel/Network" as if you removed it, and the NetBIOS over
TCP/IP will be disabled as is expected, but unlike the case when you
remove MFL manually, this time you will still be able to save passwords
in DUN.

This will work fine until you make some change in the
"Conrol_Pannel/Network". After you make almost any change, you will
immedately lose the ability to save passwords  in DUN, as if you
removed MFL manually.
The way to solve it, is that whenever you make any change in "Network"
instead of just making the change and rebooting, you have to do the
following:
a) make the change.
b) add MFL
c) switch again the logon from MFL to Windows Logon
d) unbind MFL with NetBIOS
e) uncheck again the NetBIOS over the Internet
f) press OK and reboot.

By this you will return to your former situation but with the change that
you wanted made.
Very twisty, but since one should make changes in "Network",
only rarely, this is not a problem.

Uzi

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html