Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 12:48:23 -0800
>      Can someone tell me how can I record the songs on CD as a wave file
onto my hard disk?
>Thank you,
>Diana Hayden

I just received  a PCWorld tip about this and I will append this post with
it. .....Keep in mind that a high quality 2 minute CD recording will be in
excess of 20 megabytes.

Mark

If you're just now getting interested in working with voice and
sounds, you have the perfect starting point already on your hard
disk. Let's say you'd like to record some sound bites from some of
your CDs. Here's how.

Put the audio disk into the CD-ROM drive and open the CD Player (it
will probably open automatically; if it does, click the Stop button).
Now open the Recorder (Start, Programs, Accessories, Multimedia,
Sound Recorder). Now click Record on the Sound Recorder and then
click Play on the CD Player. Watch the graphical indicator on the
Sound Recorder. If you see some of the waveforms flatten out, the
record volume is too high. Choose Edit, Audio Properties, and when
the dialog box opens, reduce the Recording volume. Note: If the
waveform is flattening out, your sound file will be distorted.

The recording time is entirely dependent on your system memory. With
64MB of RAM installed, we can record 150 seconds (stereo, 16 bits,
44100 samples per second). You can also get more recording time if
you reduce the sound requirements. To do this, choose Edit, Audio
Properties and click the arrow at the right side of the Preferred
Quality list box. Choose Radio Quality and click OK.

Alternatively, you can click Customize and then choose the audio
parameters from the Customize dialog box. Click OK when you're
finished and then click OK again to close the Audio Properties dialog
box.

If you have a microphone or tape player, you can try working with
both. To use a tape player, you'll need an adapter to connect both
the right and left channel cables to the type of connector used by
your sound card. You can get these adapters at Radio Shack. The
adapter plugs into the Line input on the sound card.

The Sound Recorder is far from a full-featured digital recorder, but
it does a great job with sound bites and comments. And it's a great
way to get started.