Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:17:50 +1000
Al wrote:
>Apparently my picture files are to big for sending. >>

First, there are 2 different meanings to the term picture size when applied
to photos on your computer.

One is the physical size of the photo. ie say 2400x1800 pixels. Otherwise
called the picture resolution.

  If downloaded direct from your camera, by default the resolution is often
far too large for your computer and useful only if you want high quality
prints.

Second there is the file-size, ie the size of the file on your computer.
This depends on the rate of compression of each photo. Bitmaps (.bmp) are
very large files, whereas the more useful jpegs (.jpg) are compressed in
various degrees of compression either by your camera, or by software on
your computer.

So there are basically 2 ways of reducing the "size"---
1. By making the photo physically smaller----"resizing" it from 2400x1800
pixels to maybe 640x480. This alone will shrink the file size from about 4
Mb to about 200 Kb. You can set this on your camera, or by software later
in your computer.

2. By compressing it as a compressed .jpg file. Compressing it to about 65%
results in very little loss of quality but will reduce the file size from
around 200 Kb to about 40 Kb. That's ideal for emailing, and will retain
good quality.

Thus by (1) resizing, then (2) compressing, you can reduce the file size
for emailing down from say 4 Mb to 40 Kb. That's a 100-fold reduction.

Cropping the photo sometimes helps, too.

I recommend using proper software for this such as freeware Irfanview. I've
found that pictures sent to me where people have obviously used their email
program to do the reducing are generally such poor quality as to be
practically useless.

In Irfanview, or most similar programs, after you've resized the photo,
when you save it you'll be asked to set the compression rate. Use between
80% and 65%---trial and error will guide you here depending on the quality
of the original pix and just how much tradeoff you desire. I've always
found that a compression of 65% is good in most cases.

So---to summarize---
1. Crop
2. Resize
3.Compress when saving.

Incidentally, I find the most graphic software programs that come with your
digital camera are pretty useless and hard to use compared with Irfanview.

Don Penlington

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml