Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Marv Trott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:41:33 -0400
Ira,

When you say it does not work. Do you mean that you cannot get the ISP to
recognize the Router connected to the Cable Modem? If this is true then you
have to change the Routers MAC address to match the address of the NIC in
your computer. This is the address that your ISP recognizes.

You can find the MAC address of your NIC by running winipcfg. Look at "more
information" and then look at the NDIS driver "adapter address". This is
the address that the ISP has set up for your computer. Follow the
instruction booklet for changing the MAC address of the Linksys Cable/DSL
Router and change it to this address. After this is done the ISP will now
think that it is seeing the NIC in your computer.

By the way if you do not change any of the other Router setup then your
Router will respond to any probes from the Internet as being in Stealth
Mode. I assume that Stealth Mode is a good firewall.

It works for me.

Marv Trott

You wrote:

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:29:02 EDT
From: Ira Wallin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: cable modem router

I have a cable modem going just fine. I purchased a Linksys 4-port Etherfast
Cable/DSL router today in order to run a couple of PCs off the one cable
modem. So far, it does not work. I was wondering..there is a footnote in
one of the instructions to delete any firewall software, like Zone Alarm
(which is what I run). Is this safe for me to do? Could this be the problem?
Thanks,
Ira Wallin

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>