Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2014 02:55:53 -0500
 To all interested in this subject.

Here is an overview of some of the software that's available,

but is by no means everything that is out there,

Several of them can create a virtual system where you can test software

without affecting your main system with regards to viruses or other malware.

Virtual environments:

Microsoft Virtual PC (VPC)   (Not to be confused with  Virtual PC - "XP Mode)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702

Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image  (Using VPC and VHDs)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11575

Read restrictions .

Below is also interesting ,but somewhat restrictive because of its requirements.

VPC -XP Mode is only available for Win 7 Professional , Ultimate and Enterprise

together with Virtual PC for Win 7 . Needs a valid license for XP

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

VirtualBox  free

https://www.virtualbox.org/

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

VMWare

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/    Commercial

But free for personal use:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0|PLAYER-601|product_downloads

How to Create a Virtual Machine of your Windows Computer

http://www.labnol.org/software/create-virtual-machine-of-existing-computer/10510/

Disk2vhd

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Shareware

HyperOS   My own favorite because of its features. Can create several "trial partitions"

https://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

https://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/software.htm#hyperos2007

There are many other applications that employ some form of virtualization

of programs.

Win 7 itself uses this concept natively.

Eg , Acronis TI (True Image) uses a "Try and Decide" feature.

There are many others that use this on a temporary basis.

A reboot eg. will restore the system to a "clean" state, i.o.w. to the state it was before the installation

of software (including malware).

Others ,like Sandboxie,  http://www.sandboxie.com/  (another favorite)

can run browsers and most software in a "sandbox".

Emptying the sandbox will get rid of whatever was collected during the session.

No uninstalling or scanning for malware or files or registry entries.

With proper management you can achieve a high degree of safety.

On a personal note, Sandboxie has saved me countless hours scanning for malware

or leftovers from an uninstall of software I wanted to try out.

. Empty the sandbox and it's gone.

Hope this will be of help to someone.

Peter E.

                         support at our website: