Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:30:32 -0700
Tannis writes:

<<Is there any way I can run diagnostics with printout on this home built
machine, I mean is there a
generic diagnostic program available. ...
I keep getting fatal error messages.  I do not know what is wrong>>

I'm not sure what your subject-matter has to do with this problem.  It may
not attract the attention you want.

Yes, there are lots of diagnostic programs around, some useful, most
not.  Si-Soft Sandra and BCM Diagnostics are OK, but I've never really come
across one that does much more than tell you that you have a problem with
xxx---a fact you already know, or you wouldn't be running the darned
thing.  You'll see some interesting info about your system, but not a lot
of practical help.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. I don't know of any diagnostic utility that
would identify a "rogue" program, for instance, which is a likely
possibility here.

I doubt that any of them will help you with your "error" messages, though
you don't say what they are, so not much to go on. Which programs are
producing these, and in what circumstances?

More often than not, "Fatal error messages" are produced by either
conflicting programs trying to use the same resources, or some sort of
temporary memory shortage (even though you have plenty of RAM), or in many
cases by operator error (eg trying to do too many tasks at once,
impatience, too many windows open, improper closure after crashing, ---the
list is endless).

If these errors have been allowed to continue for some time, resulting in
forced closures, your registry is very likely getting corrupted and you may
need a registry restoration at the very least.  Or perhaps a Windows
reinstall.

Re-installing offending programs may sometimes help.  But unfortunately
there is no magic cure-all, without knowing details of your specific problem.

A look thru my web tutorials might help, especially those on registry
maintenance/backups and crash procedure.

If your system is too far gone, a reformat might be due.

Just a few thoughts.  Perhaps some of our techies may have some more
sensible solutions.

If you do find a diagnostic utility that does solve your error messages
(depending what they are), I'm sure we're all dying to know.

Don Penlington

Free computer tutorials at: http://www.geocities.com/donaldpen/
Also Fractal Galleries,  free icons,  poetry,  and beautiful Queensland beaches.

                       http://freepctech.com/rode