Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:22:01 -0600
At 12:13 PM 05/20/2000 , Ron Cagle wrote:
>Whenever windows98 starts up I keep getting prompted for a password. It says to put your
>user name in and don't put in a password and I will not get prompted again. This does
>not happen I get prompted for a password everytime my computer is booted up or
>restarted..How do I stop this?... thanks

In order to remove the login screen in Windows98, you must set your
Network configuration to:  Windows Logon

To do this, right click on the Network Neighborhood on your desktop and
click on properties.  In the box labeled:  Primary Network Logon    set it
to Windows Logon.   If it was not already set to this, it will now reboot.  You
will have one final WIndows logon screen when it reboots.

Now, with this said...  if this does not solve your problem, then you have
a corrupted Password file.   You will need to delete your current password
file.   Open your Windows Explorer, scroll to your Windows directory:
    C:\windows
Find any files that end with .PWL   and delete them.   Now, reboot Windows
and you will be prompted to Login again, as before.  This will create a
new password file.  Be sure not to enter a password, just the regular
user name you have been using.  Now, the next time you reboot Windows
it should not request a password any longer.

One big hint here:  If you have ever had a third party create a password
on your login, such as your child, this is how you remove it.

Screensaver Password lockout:
If you have had a third person add a screen saver with an unknown
password that locks the system once the screen saver starts, the way to
cure this is to start Windows and immediately click on Start | Run |
and type:  SYSEDIT   [press Okay]   Now, in the SYSTEM.INI
window, find the line that starts with:  SCRNSAVE.EXE=    and
either delete this line or place a semi-colon (;) at the beginning
of the line, as in:
;SCRNSAVE.EXE=
This semi-colon will stop Windows from reading the line and loading
the current screen saver.

If the screen saver is set to 1 second and you have no time to open
SYSEDIT to clean out the problem, you can do this from a command
prompt.   As the system starts and finishes the POST process, it  then
begins to BOOT, (you see the line "Starting Win95..."  or "Starting Win98..."),
press F8.  You will have the start menu.  Now choose the COMMAND
PROMPT option.  This will boot you into DOS.   At the C:\>  prompt,
type this:   EDIT SYSTEM.INI
You can know scroll down, using the down arrow on your keyboard.
Remove the line SCRNSAVE.EXE=  line be either deleting it or using
the semi-colon mentioned above.   Press the ALT key to access the
command boxes on the toolbar and use the arrow keys to scroll down
to Exit, then press enter.  You will be prompted to save this and press
OKAY.  Now, reboot.   Your screen saver lockout is gone.

If you understand this process, you will also note that anyone with the
least amount of knowledge can by-pass password protections on your
PC...  so do not believe a password on a screen saver or logon makes
your system protected.  It only takes a minute to clean them out...

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         http://nospin.com/rode