Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:37:56 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I went into Safe Mode this morning (after advice from the list) and  turned
>off my system restore and did a thorough scan of my system.   Shortly into the
>scan it did find one virus and I deleted it.  I left it  running when I left
>for work this morning.  When I come home, I expect I  will find other things as
>my computer has been lagging badly.  My question  is this:  When I first did
>the scan in regular mode and deleted the  viruses, some kept coming back.  Is
>doing it in safe mode with the system  restore checked to be turned off...will
>this catch them all?  Also, I know  you all don't think much of Norton, but
>what other anti-virus programs do you  suggest I use in conjunction with Avast
>to protect myself from this happening  again?  I have teens that download alot
>of music and videos and I'm  thinking the viruses came from there.  Is there
>something you recommend for  this Peer to Peer stuff?  One final question, at
>my office, we have  Norton.  I had a problem on my computer and had to do a
>full  restore.  I loaded Norton back on our system as I have a subscription good
> until April of 2005, and did a complete scan...it told me there were 12
>updates.  I downloaded all 12 updates, but they will not install.  I  keep
>getting an error message that says:  LiveUpdate was unable to install any of the 1
>updates that you  selected.  All available updates were selected.  Anyone know
>what this  means?
>
>Donna Olson

A short reply to the first part of your paragraph of questions:

Because XP makes copies of  'restore points' it is possible to clean a
virus out of a current hard drive but  it most likely will miss the
special folder created to store the restore point info. If a virus is
lurking in a valid restore point. it can pop back onto your system. So
if you find a virus on your system you should turn off the restore point
option, clean out the virus and once you have a clean system, reactivate
the restore points. Going into safe mode just reduces the items loaded
into background to simplify boot up.

Jean Bourvic