Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:34:08 -0700
  POP is one of several services by which a client like
Thunderbird or Outlook can retrieve a user's incoming mail from
their server mailbox.  (IMAP is the next most popular, and
reading email via a web page instead of a client application  is
also an option).

  SMTP is the most common way for a client application
(Thunderbird, Outlook, whatever) to send new messages to the
email server it knows about.  It is also used by email servers
to exchange messages, so for instance if I forward this message
to my gmail account, our campuse email server will use SMTP to
pass it along to Gmail's server.

  If I've understood you correctly, you don't need to do
outbound SMTP from the server.  But your server will need to
accept SMTP from the student computers,and also allow them
access via POP.  (POP3, technically, but POP2 has been obsolete
for years now.)

  There are additional tricky parts.  The clients will need to
be told what mail server to connect to -- that can be by IP
address.  If you do it that way, the server at least should have
its address statically assigned or, if you use DHCP, reserved by
MAC address.
  There is one more wrinkle, and details of how to solve it MAY
depend on what server software you choose.  The domain name in
the email addresses -- the part after the @ sign -- needs to be
recognized by the server as pointing to it.  It *may* be
possible to omit it entirely, although on the client I use that
lets me send locally to other email client accounts on my own
machine and never crosses to the server.  So you will probably
have to pick SOMETHING to use, preferably something that doesn't
conflict with anything on the Internet (names ending in ".local"
are often used for this), and figure out how to tell the email
server software that addresses in that domain refer to mailboxes
that are *on this server*.

David Gillett