Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Charlie Acord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:34:14 -0500
I have a problem with my Internet Explorer (IE) browser that is
driving me nutz! Anytime that I open more than one instance of
IE, then when I am done and I close the last instance, I get the
standard Windows "disaster box" with the red circle with a white
'X' in it. It says "Iexplore" in the blue band at the top, and
then says:

    This program has performed an illegal operation
    and will be shut down.

    If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

The "Details" section contains this data:

    IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff87ede.
    Registers:
    EAX=c00309d0 CS=0167 EIP=bff87ede EFLGS=00010212
    EBX=01fcfb1c SS=016f ESP=01ecff98 EBP=01ed0004
    ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=81b4e088 FS=3f87
    EDX=81b4e090 ES=016f EDI=0148e79c GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    53 56 57 8b 30 83 7d 10 01 8b 4e 38 89 4d f8 75
    Stack dump:

In and of itself, this wouldn't be so bad - the really irritating
thing is that this "disaster box" won't go away!! If I click on
"Close", it just comes back - I have to reboot to get rid of it!!
And ShutDown hangs, so that if I wanna shut down my system
cleanly, I have to reboot to get rid of the error msg and *then*
shut down.

I am running Windows 98 SE. I had this problem with IE 5, so I
upgraded to IE 6 in hopes of getting rid of it. No joy - I still
have the error with IE 6 (specifically, I have IE version
6.0.2800.1106 SP1, with the Q328970, Q313829, Q324929, Q810847,
and Q813951 updates also installed).

I have run a complete scan on my entire system (both hard drives)
with the latest McAfee DAT files (4257), I have run PCPitStop's
online virus scan, and just about everything I can think of,
including my System File Checker (no joy there either). I have
spent hours searching MicroSoft's KnowledgeBase, to no avail. One
strange thing that I have noticed is that the MS Internet
Explorer Error Reporting Tool, which is supposed to be included
in IE6 (one of the reasons I upgraded to 6) and is supposed to
kick in whenever IE barfs, does *not* kick in when this error
occurs on my system. I do not know if this is meaningful to my
problem.

Surely someone else has had this problem and knows what I need to
do to fix it. If there is more information that I need to supply,
please let me know.

Thanks is advance!

Charlie Acord