Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Yuki Taga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:13:59 +0900
Hello friends,

This may run longish, and I apologize in advance, and thank anyone from
the bottom of my heart who has the patience to help me out by reading
this all the way through.

I have a multi-boot NT4 Server box that has been running stable for
years.  But after either the latest MSIE "upgrade" (5.01) or SP-6a, I don't
know which, but I strongly suspect the MSIE, I've started having some
real problems.

The main problem is this:  Pegasus Mail (3.12b -- the latest release
version) no longer causes my dialer to dial in NT4.  Now before anyone
suggests anything terribly obvious, let me go out on a limb here and say
that I am not a novice user.  Far from it, I'm sure.  The obvious, at least
the obvious to me, has been checked.  This is very unlikely to turn out to
be a simple, "Gee, you overlooked that setting" kind of solution --
unfortunately.

Here are some interesting facts about the situation:

1.  Pegasus lives on a FAT16 programs & data partition shared by
Windows98 SE, NT4 Server, and Advanced Server 2000.

2.  Pegasus still calls the dialer in Windows98, and Pegasus calls the
dialer in AS 2000.  (This is the same Pegasus for all platforms, installed
to the same folder from each platform.)

3.  In NT4 Server, where the problem is, MSIE still calls the dialer.
Agent, the popular newsreader, also still calls the dialer.  These apps
also call the dialer from the other platforms as well, of course.

Given this set of facts, the problem seems elusive.  The settings for
Pegasus are exactly the same on all platforms, of course.  It is
impossible to modify a shared Pegasus for each platform.  To do that,
one would need separate folders for each Pegasus specific to each
platform.  I have not done that.  There is only one Pegasus, not three.
Yet Pegasus is only refusing to call the dialer in NT4 Server, and
Pegasus is the only program that is refusing to dial.

So there we are.  Fact two shows us that Pegasus works,  at least on
the other two platforms, but it is the same Pegasus.  Fact three shows
us the dialer in NT4 works.  So we are left wondering why Pegasus can
no longer work with the dialer *only* in NT4.  (It previously worked with
the dialer there for years.)

What I've tried:

1.  All network settings (of course) checked and verified.  And like I say,
the same Pegasus is having no problems with the same settings on the
other platforms.  The setting checked include both those in the Pegasus
network settings area, and those in the MSIE "Tools/Internet Options"
area.  All look as they should, and I know what they should look like.  <g>

2.  I reinstalled Pegasus to NT4 Server.

3.  I re-applied SP-6a to NT4 Server.

Here are some other problems on NT4 Server that I also associate with
the "upgrade" to MSIE 5.01:

1. I have a strange icon associated with .exe files now.  It's the empty
trash bin.  This is the icon that now displays when an executable has no
icon of its own.  It is non-standard, for sure.  <g>  When I attempt to
change the icon for this in 'File Types', both the 'Edit' and 'Delete'
buttons are grayed-out, and therefore inaccessible.  I think the 'Delete'
button *should* be grayed-out for this file type, since it is an important
system file type, but I'm not sure about the 'Edit' button.  In any case,
something has modified the icon for this file type.  (If anyone know how
to fix that, I'd be grateful, too.)

2.  I run the Quick Launch toolbar hidden at the top of my screen.
Previously (for years) one could not resize the thickness of that toolbar to
less than the row or row of icons in the toolbar.  It would 'snap to' a single
or double row size (or more), depending on how many rows of icons you
had.  Now, however, that toolbar can be resized to *any* size on my NT4
platform, even one that cuts the bottom of the icons off.  This is new and
strange behavior, and I doubt if it's standard.

3.  Just after this dialer problem began, on two occasions, when I dialed
my ISP via the phonebook entry from the remote monitor in my system
tray, I could not logon to my ISP.  The problem was that the phonebook
entry had "forgotten" my password, or was sending an incorrect
password.  I deleted the phonebook entry (the only one in the
phonebook) and re-created it.  It worked fine for a day, but the next day I
had to do it once again.  Since then, however, (about 4 or 5 days now) I
have not had a problem there.

Other than these three things, the installation seems stable.  I have run
full scans with almost every virus detector known to man, and none can
find anything even suspicious.  The box is in a secure location, and I can
really be 100 percent certain I'm the only one with access to it, other than
when I log into my ISP, which assigns a dynamic IP address, like most.

I will end by telling you *why* I decided to "upgrade" MSIE from 5 to 5.01
in the first place.  I was having an instanciation problem with MSIE 5.
That is, when opening two instances of the program, choosing a
"Favorite" in the second instance would cause the focus to shift back to
the first instance, and cause the new page to load there, overwriting any
page currently loaded in the first instance.  This is non-standard
behavior which does not happen with the MSIE I have installed in
Windows98 SE, which is a completely separate program installation for
98, of course.  So that is what I was trying to fix, and sadly, the "upgrade"
did not fix that either.

I profoundly thank all who've read this far, and stand ready to answer any
follow up questions or try any suggestions that might come from this.  I
hope there is genius among us.  ^_-

Yuki Taga

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD... All the files from our File Download
         area and much more...  over 165 files, all on one CD!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions