Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:11:28 +1000
Gordon wrote:
>What is the difference between "Hibernate" and "Stand By"?>>

They are a function of the motherboard (or more accurately the BIOS).

So they may differ on different computers.  On most, hibernation puts the
state of the computer into memory, then shuts everything down. On
awakening, the boot process is bypassed and the state is revived from
memory.  Some systems can have problems in coming out of hibernation (older
Compaqs were notorious for this, but they aren't alone).  On shutdown, a
minimum amount of memory is retained in an active state, from which the
system revives itself. If that memory is insufficient, then the system will
not be able to waken itself, and all you get is the blank screen. Unless
you're clever enough to rewrite the BIOS, there's nothing you can do about
this other than to ensure there's only a minimum of things open when you
place the machine into this state.
Therefore Hibernation works in some cases, but not in others.

Standby can also vary according to the design of your BIOS. In most cases,
this will shut down the monitor and the hard drives, and all but essential
power supplies. RAM remains fully alive, therefore recovery is much faster.
This is the state I find most effective overnight on my present computer,
though on my previous one, hibernation was my preferred choice.

Most modern mobos have both options which you will find in Control
Panel/Power Options. In some cases, you can modify exactly what you want
Standby to do.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml