Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jeffrey Ottie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 05:20:37 -0500
Peter,

Thank you for your prompt reply: the idea of this possibly being a video
driver issue never occured to me and, if it is, I'm sunk with the hardware I
have.

Let me elaborate: I'm running W2K SP4 on an almost seven year old Gateway PC
that our neighbor tossed out with the garbage as junk (and actually it was
trash at that point in time).  The machine was originally sold as a G6-366
(366 MHz Intel Celeron Medcino) loaded with W98 on an Intel RX440BX
motherboard with 64 MB of slow PC66 memory with 8MB of integrated video
which I upgraded to a 'G6-450' by re-flashing the BIOS and installing a 450
MHz Intel Pentium II (Deutsches) CPU, 384 MB of Crucial 2-2-2 (Clock-2)
PC133 SDRAM memory (tweaking the memory timing in software using BXTune and
H.Oda's WPCRSET) and using the NVidia Riva 128/128ZX video driver supplied
by Microsoft on the W2K Professional installation CD. To the best of my
knowledge that is the most up-to-date driver available for this chipset as
there was no economic incentive for Gateway or anyone else to produce a more
refined driver.  W2K was never supported by Gateway on this machine and the
Intel RX440BX motherboard has a design issue/flaw that that doesn't permit
it to run W2K without first modifying the power supply fan control in
hardware to allow the fan to run continuously. I learned this obscure
business about the W2K issue on an RX440BX motherboard the hard way by first
burning out the original power supply and then stumbling upon a paragraph
addressing the problem somewhere deep inside the Intel knowledge base.

All that said, you may rightly ask why I'd continue using such an antique
machine?  Especially since I own serveral other more modern desktops and
notebooks.  The answer is simple: it is now rock solid both in hardware and
software.  It ran SETI@home successfully for two straight years non-stop
24/7 without pause, save the infrequent updating of the SETI client whenever
newer versions were released.  Besides, it's software applications mix is
well balanced, up-to-date and is able to peform just about any task I'll
ever need to complete on a home desktop PC other than high-performance
gaming which isn't my bailiwick.

Anyway back to topic: if it is indeed a video or video driver issue, I guess
I could plug in a well-supported 32 or 64 MB PCI graphics card and be on my
way.  Let's see what other may have to say and, if no joy on that, then I'll
take your advice and upgrade the machine's video and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeffrey Ottie

eom