Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:06:28 -0400
Date:    Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:13:11 -0500
From:    Laurie Lusinski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: E-BAY problem (associated with Internet Explorer)

>>>Hello, all!=0D=0A=0D=0AThe last few times that I have tried to view it=
ems on E-Bay, after about three clicks I get a message that "Internet =
Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close" and then asks if=
 I want to report the error.  I first suspected spyware and checked th=
e update list on Spybot Search and Destroy and found no newer updates.=
  I just found an adware program yesterday when I scanned with AVAST! =
 I moved the file to the chest and rebooted with System Restore disabl=
ed.  The adware was:  Win32:Adware-gen.  Has anyone had a similar expe=
rience and what would you suggest to fix the problem?  I don't use E-B=
ay very often, but it seems that this is the only website that is affe=
cted (so far as I can tell).  I've always used Spybot Search and Destr=
oy, but Spyware Doctor was recommended to me.  I tried it without unin=
stalling Spybot and it seemed that they were working against each othe=
r.  I uninstalled Spyware Doctor.  Any suggestions with what I did wro=
ng and can other programs be used at the same time as Spybot?=0D=0A=0D=
=0AThanks in advance for your help!=0D=0A=0D=0ALaurie Lusinski =<<<

A quick search on the internet revealed that this is a rather difficult
piece of spyware/trojan programming to remove. There are a couple of free
tools you will need to download to rid yourself of it. One is HijackThis
(http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html) and the other tool is is
KillBox (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php). A post on
CastleCops website gives a rather long, albeit effective series of steps to
remove this. (http://castlecops.com/t124318-Win32_Trojan_gen_UPX.html). As
far as running several spyware programs at once, if you are using XP or
2000, Microsoft's free spyware tool (formerly Giant software) will run right
along side of Spybot.
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57
-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en) Both will help to prevent registry
changes associated with spyware. I use both and AdAwareSE although the free
version of AdAware does not have 'real-time' protection of registry
settings, but it is a good program to use with the others. I'll run a scan
with all three just to make sure I'm flushing the system out. Make sure you
have enabled both the immunize and add SpyBots hosts list in SpyBot. (Adding
host list is done by opening the program, clicking on Mode, Advanced, Tools,
Hosts File and clicking Add Spybots-S&D Hosts List. Then in Tools, IE
Tweaks, check 'Lock Hosts file as read-only protection against hijackers'.
The program is now at version 1.4. HTH.

Chris Ryan
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>