Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Darrach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 23:54:39 -0400
The "missing" has returned.

In my earlier e-mails I covered the problem of the missing alert: "Do you
wish to close your Internet connection?" that used to appear whenever I
closed IE5. I think that I had tried everything short of reinstalling Win98
to correct the problem - all to no avail.

Around the time that the problem arose I had installed a CD burner and the
accompanying Adaptec software. One of the programs, the Adaptec Easy CD
Creator 4.x, automatically installs an icon on the System Taskbar [as well
as on the Desktop]. One of the program features is Web Checkup which allows
you to contact the Adaptec web site and download/install any program updates.

This evening, as a last resort prior to reinstalling Win98, I disabled most
of the items on the Taskbar. I was still connected to the Internet and
immediately on disabling Easy CD Creator the missing alert appeared.
Disabling has the effect of actually removing the icon until you
"reinstall" it. Now everything is back to normal but I have to use the Easy
CD Creator shortcut on the Desktop or go into Start/Programs to startup
Easy CD Creator.

I have no real idea why but it would appear that the Taskbar and Web
Checkup relationship somehow stops the alert. Microsoft do say that the
alert will appear, if enabled as Brendan Horne pointed out, when you shut
down IE5 and no other running programs may need the connection.

If anyone knows the technical reason why or has a work around solution, I'd
like to hear it.

Peter Darrach

                         http://nospin.com/rode