Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:15:02 +0800
Dennis,

You were close, but you should have said you need a static IP address
(not non-static, which equals dynamic, which means it always changes).

There are ways around using a dynamic number assigned via dial-up (and
some DSL services), using 'dynamic DNS' services. http://www.dyndns.org/

However, as you say, web hosting on a dial-up account would be quite
slow to the end users of the website.

Windows 2000 Pro and upwards all support IIS (the MS software that does
the webpage serving). Pro only supports one website (again, there are
ways around this using 'host headers'), whereas Server and upwards
support multiple sites.

Regards,

Rick P

Date:    Mon, 2 Dec 2002 06:10:00 -0800
From:    Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Making a web server

I really know very very little in this area, but, I have seen no other
postings to your question. I would venture to say no. You would have to
have your own non-static internet IP address and I am pretty sure that
with a dial up service you do not have this. Even with my cable modem,
my IP address is changed every 1 to 4 hours. If I had business service,
I am then given a permanent IP address, perhaps this might facilitate
what you are looking for, but I am not sure. Also with dial up, even
just a text html web page would be so slow; no body would want to view
it.

You can however get pretty decent web hosting for under $100 a year.

Hopefully someone with more (or any) knowledge in this area will correct
or elaborate on my answer.

Dennis Noble

> Is it possible with dial up internet connection to make my PC a mini
web
> server with Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows XP Pro?

> I also in the future want to have a domain name resolved to it.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml