Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:38:32 -0400
Hi Joyce,

It looks like you're trying to make a duck out of a duckling.

It may quack like a duck and sometimes even walk like a duck ,but it's still not a duck and

will collapse under its own weight ,since it still has duckling legs .

If it's a "mini" , treat it like a mini.

To start with ,while with a 15 GB drive you can certainly install a full copy of XP (SP2 in your case)

you may be better off to install a "mini" XP.

There's a lot of extra "fluff" in XP and removing it will give you a smaller footprint.

Here's an interesting forum thread

http://superuser.com/questions/37528/bare-minimum-hard-drive-space-to-install-windows-xp-sp3-professional

One way of doing it is to prepare a "shrunk' version is by using nLite.

There's enough info in the next links to do this.

nLite  http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

http://abz89.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/how-to-make-your-own-windows-xp-lite-cd-installer-with-nlite/

http://computermess.blogspot.ca/2011/05/how-to-use-nlite-to-slim-down-and.html

Another source is Bold-Fortune's "Slimming Down XP"

  It uses a number of batch files to remove files from selected areas in Windows.

While in this case the files stay on the drive as backup, there's no reason why you couldn't

save the folders and files outside on a DVD or USB flash drive or other storage medium.

Here's a sample of how this evolved

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=9399

Complete list at that time.  http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showforum=68

However for all the work that went into this ,I think the guy deserves a donation.

http://boldfortune.blogspot.ca/

This takes me back to the time I started doing this. (actually even way before this)

I've used ISOs as small as 90 MB - about 250 MB as compared to the 600 MB of XP w.SP2

Installed size just about 1 GB or less. More like closer to 2GB for a basic full XP install.

Have used smaller ,like 50 MB ,but that doesn't offer much usability.

If you're not up to this ,start taking inventory of what's taking up the space.

A good utility is TreeSize Free    http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

It'll give you a good idea where the "hogs" are.

You can delete most if not all of the $NTUninstall files in the  \WINDOWS folder.

If the KB update is ok ,there's no need to keep those files.

http://technical-issues-tips.blogspot.ca/2007/08/tips-reduce-size-of-windows-folder.html

Do a disk cleanup  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

Turn off System Restore or if not turned off, reduce the amount of space used.

Turn off Hybernate

Those 2 alone take up a lot of space on the drive.

A lot of Updates can be uninstalled ,especially many of the security updates, since most of them are only POC

(Proof Of Concept) and have never been exploited.

Notice: This is NOT general advice, it's strictly directed to the recipient.

Uninstall duplicate programs:

Having both , Office 2007 and Microsoft Works would be duplication.

Works is a subset of Office ,which means that all its components are not as elaborate as in the Office Suite.

Decide which one you want to keep, based on what you use in each one, but don't keep both.

You uninstalled Java ,but Java is not that large (30 MB download and (installed) folder is about 75 MB)

Is used a lot on websites ,but see how you fare without it.

Don't re-install Adobe X , instead try Foxit Reader ,much smaller. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

As for a browser, your space can certainly accommodate that.

Firefox is ok (download 17 MB) ,but Opera is lighter both in size (download 11 MB) and operation.

It's certainly  not as much of a memory hog like Firefox.

For email use Outlook Express (somebody is ready to kill me for that)

but OE is a very capable email client on XP. Never mind the overblown security concerns.

Don't overload the Inbox or other folders and keep those folders compacted.

Just run it sandboxed if one is so worried. See below, or

Use webmail in a protected  (sandboxed) browser

One program I'd definitely recommend is Sandboxie. Not only does it allow you to surf safely,

all surfing residue can be wiped out with a few clicks. Very important since browsers collect an awful lot of redundant temp files.

No fear of infection of malware or virus etc

You can still install an AV and anti-malware program like MSE or run AV programs off a USB drive.

Lean towards portable programs wherever you can.

Try to keep a minimum of at least 2 GB free space, actually more like closer to 3 GB if you want to run a full DVD.

Granted ,some is taken up by RAM ,but temp used space is borne by the hard drive.

Getting too close to having no free space will lock up the system ,so it won't even boot anymore.

There's probably a lot more, but this should get you started.

Peter E.