Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:56:55 -0400
First, I don't disagree with anything said in the reply below...
I have never tried that way on MY computer so it can be very
different in "other" cases...

A direct and blunt answer to the second half of the subject line is:
File type? "None"...  At least on my computer...
I will try to explain "my" answer...
I installed the Microsoft Printer "Generic/Text Only" and then use
THAT to print to files...  I wind up with a  filename.PRN file.
When I set that "printer" to be the system "default" printer, it
severely limits the fonts that are available in most of the programs
on my computer... Only one (or two?) are selectable for use...
That (as a question) "pops up" on this list once in a while...

These PRN files are "sort of" plain text, with a twist... The only difference
between "them" and a notepad file is a strange lack of formatting
and they use a different character set as default so when I view them
in most  text editors, they give little square blocks to show where a
character is "different and unavailable".
If however, I view them in one (of several) binary text editors,
I am warned they have null terminators, and that the file is a binary file,
(as opposed to a "really" plain text file...)
Along the same idea, when I print the PRN files from my binary text editor
program it looks the same as if I had printed to an actual physical printer
from the original program in the first place...
One other possible difference on my computer is that dropping PRN files
on the icon of a "real printer" does not work since there is NO association
of the PRN file type to "any" actual program on my computer...
Remember, my files of that type originate from a "phantom" printer that
is a software "emulation" of a hardware printer.
Instead of storing the "printout" on paper (like most printers would)
my "generic" printer stores the printout on my hard drive.
Note: It really is only good for simple text files. It does not store "real" print
jobs with complicated formatting, fonts, or graphics...
Like I said... This is just another way totally different way it can work on a
computer that is set up differently with different programs and a custom
installation.
But, when you get right down to it, "most computers" become custom
installations after they leave the factory and "we users" start to
add things and tweak things...
That is why on this or any other "list" you will sometimes see totally
different answers and they are "right" for  the people that wrote them,
(we hope), and they can be "very wrong" to some one else.
That is why it is sometimes necessary to give some information
about your configuration when asking a question...
Figuring out how much (and when) is the "fun" part...
Lecture is over, getting off soap box now...
This was just another "view" of the same question from a totally different
hardware/software perspective.  Thanks for your time...    Rick Glazier

>The .PRN files can be "opened" only by copying them to the printer.
>But not just any printer : it has to be the same model, with the same
>hardware and software settings, drivers, paper size, and even the same
>cartridges (Lexmark black/photos and HP single-cartridge DeskJets are
>printers where this problem is common). Preferably, the one on the
>same computer where the .PRN was created. Then you will get the result
>with 99% success.

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions