Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Ian Carmichael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:39:48 -0500
At 04:56 AM 1/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>A client has been given a Compaq Ipaq for Christmas and asked me to tutor
>him in its use-I've never dealt with one of these beasts before. He is a
>house painter who is contemplating using the device to make and track
>appointments. He is not even remotely tech savvy.
>
>I find only glowing reviews on the internet, yet I find this thng to be a
>cumbersome pain in the neck-The stylus interface in particular seems very
>primitive, and the device itself is very slow.
>
>Does any one have experience with these devices and/or suggestions as to how
>best to utilize them?
>Thanks.

I've been using an Ipaq 3670 for the past few years.  As someone who spent
11 months out of the year travelling, I found it handy.  Using Outlook, I
was able to have my itineraries,  local city info (contact #s, guides,
forms, etc) all in the palm of my hand, no schelping(sp) around my
laptop.  Was also able to store and display photos of my previous works to
clients.  Had purchased the dual-pcmcia expansion pack (which considerably
added to the size of the iPaq), and used a Wi-Fi card for war
walking/wardriving and a Toshiba 1GB pcmcia HD for doc storage.  In just
about every major city, I found open APs that allowed me access to email
and/or the web.  And were it not for Hertz and their cars equipped with
GPS, I would have added that capability to the iPaq (still may do).  Tried
storing mp3s, but battery life sucked; on a coast-to-coast flight with
fully charged battery, loss charge in under 3 hours.  I later started using
the Digi-Power rechargeable PS (made for digital cameras) as a back-up
source of power that can be worn on the hip.

All-in-all, I found it very useful device to keep track of contacts,
etc.  I've been able to receive needed files and emails while
standing/sitting curbside in some city w/o the weight/bulk of a laptop, or
wires.   Also, for specific users/industries/vocations, there are useful
apps than can be always at hand (conversion tools, surveying, etc).  HTH

Ian Carmichael