Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:28:10 -0700
At 08:02 AM 01/31/2000 , you wrote:
>     Windows 95 won't get out of the way.
>      I have a standard, Windows 95 PC, with a 200 MHz MMX Pentium, 128
>MB RAM.  Several times I've done FDISK and formatted the single 3 GB
>hard drive, copying the system files to C:.  But when I boot up, I see
>"Starting Windows," the Windows splash screen, and other leftover
>garbage, even though I've done a full format and haven't installed any
>programs, including Windows 95.  It doesn't go to Windows, of course.
>Eventually I get a C: prompt.
>      How do I fully erase Windows so I can get a fresh start?  If the
>only way is a low-level format, I'll skip it.
>     -- Lee Greathouse

I believe you are not aware of what is occurring.   The "splash" screen
image that appears is a function of your Command.com when it loads
under Windows95/98.   This occurs when you have added back the
basic system files or SYS'd the hard drive.  This probably occurred
if you used the SYS command as part of the format command, as in:

    C:\>format c: /s      (the 's' switch added the system files to the hard drive)

Windows is not installed...  for Windows to be installed, you need to
have a c:\windows  directory on the hard drive and files in that
directory.   Use the  DIR command at the 'C' prompt after your PC
has booted.  Just type:   DIR  and [press enter]  you will no doubt
not find a C:\Windows directory.

I do not recommend formatting with a different version of Windows/DOS
than you intend to install, as you will encounter issues of upgrade that
are sometimes problematic.

If you intend to us a different Operating system than Microsoft, such
as Linux, then use the Linux CD to create your partition and format
the drive.  Otherwise, you are doing just fine... and the Splash screen
only means that your Command.com has loaded.

For more on using FDISK and Format under Windows95 or 98, visit
our FAQ page on our web site.  We have several guides on these
issues:  http://nospin.com/pc/faqs.html

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: