Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:34:04 +1000
Harriett wrote:
>I have heard from many sources that doing a system restore doe  NOT take
>up your memory, but I was told by Dell quite some time ago that it  does, and
>that's the reason I never wanted to do one. >>

Are you perhaps confusing memory with hard drive space. I can hardly think
that a tech would tell you that using SR takes up memory.  Strictly, this
is true, as the Restore Service is running, but it is purely passive, and
would consume virtually no memory resources. SR does, however, consume a
certain amount of disk storage space.

In these days of large hard drives, the space taken up by SR is relatively
minimal.  However, it should be used intelligently.  Although some people
elect not to use it, I've found that for most people SR does serve a useful
if rather limited, purpose and can be a lifesaver in some cases.

1. My own recommendation is that, unless space on your C-Drive is
critically low, it is best to set SR to its default of 12% , though many
people reduce this to a lower figure. This means that the lower the figure,
the more limited periods you have to choose from. At say 5% you probably
can't restore back much more than a month if you are lucky.

2. There is not much point in having SR active on drives other than the one
on which XP is installed, therefore I suggest disabling it for all drives
other than your C-Drive. As long as you retain all your program
installation disks and files, it's more satisfactory to reinstall an errant
program than to rely on to fix it for you, and usually quicker.

To make System Restore settings, go into Control Panel/System and click the
Restore tag.

SR makes copies of the registry plus all executory files.

Having said all that, SR can sometimes be a pain to use. Sometimes it won't
complete the restore process, and it can sometimes be a bit flaky. However,
I've never seen a case where it hasn't been able to recover itself from a
failed restore process, so it's safe enough to use. Don't rely on it 100%,
but it often works very well as a quick fix when other remedies have failed.

I much prefer regular registry backups with ERU---they usually have much
the same effect as SR, are 10 times quicker and easier, and you can keep
them forever. Most problems are due to registry corruptions. See tutorial
on my website if you're not familiar with this.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                    http://freepctech.com/staff.shtml