Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 01:04:40 +1000
Carol writes:

<<I just don't think it's right
that only one negative opinion should be posted when some people feel
just the opposite.>>

Not one negative, but an overwhelming number, I'm afraid.

In all the tech forums to which I subscribe, I've rarely seen anything from
those technicians whose advice I respect to recommend Nortons a-v. A few
use it, but not many, it seems. Most consider it too invasive and
resource-hungry.

It all depends on your computer use, your degree of expertise, and your
browser habits. Nortons has the reputation of being difficult if not
impossible to configure to run exactly how you want it.

For beginners or those in a multi-user environment, wanting absolute
protection at all times and at all costs, it's fine and that's the way it
seems to be designed. But that's not the way many of us operate.

Tests need to be read in an informed way---you need to look at the test
parameters very closely to see if they match your own personal usage.

For my own part, I do not have any a-v, firewall or anything else
'Net-related running at any time other than when I'm actually
connected.  To do so is a waste of resources.  It's easy enough to make up
a batch file to turn all that protection on with one click whenever connecting.

As always, there's no "best" or "worst".  AVG and Avast are both popular
and clearly do a good job, while some swear by Nortons. Much depends on
user knowledge and usage.

In actual fact, with a good ISP, you probably don't need any antivirus
program at all, as your ISP should have all that in place.  I can't recall
when I last saw a virus warning--certainly not within the last year or so,
and regular scans never seem to come up with anything.  The monthly report
I receive from my ISP tells me that they have usually prevented some 15-20
virus attacks a month knocking on my door.  I know this is controversial
advice, and not for everybody.  Don't do it at home, kiddies.

Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask for some time,
speaking of batch files.

I have, as I said, a simple batch file for turning on all my protection
(Start /d"E/Program Files---etc").  But I can't find the dos command for
closing these programs with a similar batch file (me being a complete
dos-dummie). Can someone who has had the fortitude to read this far please
give me the correct dos command for closing programs?  I've tried the ---to
me---obvious commands such as "close" and "end" and "exit" but these don't
work, at least with XP.  What am I doing wrong?

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html