Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Ed Nottingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:51:16 -0500
I apologize for the length of this post, but want to share a problem and more importantly the solution.

After disabling GoBack to defrag my XP Home system, running Norton 2003 Antivirus, etc. as part of my monthly computer maintenance, suddenly IE 6, SP1 took 8-10 minutes to load and then ran like cold molasses.  Windows Update (and I do NOT exaggerate) took 32 mintues to load prior to scanning the system.  Being the computer nerd that I am, I spent 6 hours on Monday reviewing every available Microsoft support document, tweaked the registry so I could reinstall IE, removed (as best one can) IE using the add/remove option, etc., etc., etc.  Finally, yesterday, I called MS, spent the $35 dollars, and received the usual, "You need to reinstall XP."  Being compliant (but
doubting the process), I spent another 2 hours reinstalling and then having to fix the problems (missing dial-up) associated with this including having to reinstall all XP updates, patches, SP1, etc.  Still nothing!  Called back, was told the case was closed (yeh right!), finally got to speak with someone.  The two tech people were pleasant and tried their best to help, "run sfc /scannow" (already did it), disable all startup programs, etc., their efforts and the two hour conversation in the afternoon were unsuccessful.  They decided to escalate it, and I was told they would call within two days to then schedule a telephone call.

Now, here's the solution.  Before leaving my office I attempted to run Norton Antivirus again.  Serious error message and wouldn't run.  Now I start thinking, "doesn't Norton load with IE (hence Windows Update)?"  If Norton has become corrupted, wouldn't that slow IE if it tries to load NAV?  So, uni
nstalled Norton SystemWorks 2003, check IE and viola, loaded in 5 seconds!  Reinstalled Norton, and all's right with the world.

Since I'm sure you're all more skillful than I, this is probably old stuff to you, but just in case, I wanted to share it.  Next time I stupidly turn off GoBack and hit a snag, I'll use my problem solving skills and ask what programs (e.g,. Norton) might be running in the background.  Then I check that program for problems.  Even though I'd disabled NAV in startup, somehow it was still trying to load in IE, so it took the uninstall to really identify the culprit.  I'll also avoid spending 6 hours straight trying to solve the problem, but will "step away" from it so I can think more clearly (it was last night after I'd "let it go" that it occurred to me that if a NAV file was corrupt and/or a registry item was corrupt involving NAV, the IE might be effected).

Sorry again for the length, but just in case
anybody experienced this problem, wanted to share the solution and the process.

Ed Nottingham
www.DrEdNottingham.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml