Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 07:42:12 -0500
Greetings Robert & list--
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Lendrim" <[log in to unmask]>

> My wife uses a good old Gateway Solo 2500 150MHz laptop for email. It uses
> W98SE. We bought it new from Gateway and it is up to me to keep it running
> good. I think it came with McAfee antivirus and is now using AVG. On bootup
> it pauses to present the following message:
>
> "Cannot find device that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
> The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the
> device file no longer exists.
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using it's uninstall or setup program.
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
> C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VSHINIT.VXD
> Press a key to continue"
>
> I have searched system.ini, and other places for a reference to vshinit.vxd.
> I have used two registry cleaners which removed many entries.
> But I haven't been able to fix it.
> Is there a way to fix this ?

VSHINIT.VXD is a part of the McAfee AntiVirus software (Virus Shield,
which runs in the background and places an icon in the System Tray).

It may be possible to run regedit (Start -> Run -> Type regedit -> OK), then
do a find for occurences of vshinit.vxd, then delete any references found.  This
can be hazardous, however, and should not be done unless you have backed
up your registry first.  (With Win98, the best way is to get to the boot menu,
usually by pressing F8 while booting up, then choosing item 5 Command Prompt
Only.  At the c:\> type scanreg /backup and follow the prompts.)

The preferred method for getting rid of this reference is to uninstall (or at least
disable) AVG, then reinstall McAfee, if you still have the disk(s).  After installing
McAfee, uninstall it using either the Control Panel Add/Remove Software applet
or McAfee's own uninstall routine.  This should remove the reference to vshinit.vxd.
You may then reinstall (or re-enable) Grisoft's AVG software.  (Almost all installation
routines recommend that no Windows programs be running when the installation is taking place,
ESPECIALLY antivirus software.  This is probably due to AV software's tendency to warn about
newly installed, unrecognized files being viruses.)

HTH,

Paul A. Shippert

---