Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Dan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:00:42 -0500
>don penlington wrote:

> 1. When I open Regedit, am I looking at ALL the data contained in both
> User.dat and System.dat?

Yes, this is all the data contained in user.dat and system.dat with some
dynamic data that windows enters.

> 2. If I export "My computer" using Regedit, is this identical to making
> copies of User.dat and System.dat?  There must be some other
> stuff as well,
> because if I do this, the Regedit export is larger than the sum of these 2
> files, in my case by .5 Mb.  Which files are represented by this extra
> data?  The config and ini files seem too small to account for this missing
> mass.

When you export the whole registry, you are exporting one file in a .reg
format.  It is still a combination of both user.dat and system.dat.  The
reason for the size difference is that the .reg file is a text file you can
edit and understand.  The user.dat and system.dat are system files like
command.com.  If you open one, it is just a lot of code gibberish.

> 3.  Could I just make a copy of those files, rename them with a .reg
> extension, and restore the complete registry by double-clicking?  If the
> answer is yes, I assume that the restoration won't be effective until the
> next reboot, as I believe that all this data is loaded into memory at
> bootup. I guess that's why a substantial portion of memory is used just to
> keep Windows running.

Yes, you can restore missing keys, or change current ones, but what it does
is merge into the current registry.  This is done by exporting
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.   If you have a corrupt section
that is not included in your reg file, it won't do you any good.  You can
not copy user.dat to user.reg - like I said, they are diffferent formats.

> 4. In Win 95B, I have 2 files in my root directory--io.dos and io.sys. Is
> this normal? Both are identical size.  Although they are in binary form,
> the contents appear at a glance to be identical.  Are they both necessary?
> If not, which should I delete?

Yes, both are essential and should remain there.  IO.SYS is a windows system
file, and IO.DOS allows for booting to your previous operating system.

Regards,
Dan

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
          the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions