Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 19:33:19 -0500
At 11:51 11/6/98 -0500, Winston Pike wrote:
>Next month my Beta version of Windows 98 will expire. I know there
>are two sets of Windows 98 (Install with no previous windows, and
>upgrade with windows). Will there be any problems upgrading OVER
>the Beta version and will my four COM ports and two LPT ports and
>network settings be ok or will I have to go through the Control
>Panel and search for new hardware again?

Hi Winston

You can install over the Beta of 98. I did it and all hardware was
detected correctly and settings retained.

However...

Soon after the upgrade I ran System File Checker and found that there
were tons of files in use that bore the time and version stamps of
the beta Win98. I didn't like that so I reformatted and did a clean
install of Win98.

The reason I think this is an important consideration is that to fix
flaky behavior, I have had to use Win98's System File Checker to
restore changed system files (installed by mischievous application
programs) and I think it would be more difficult to identify changed
files if you have a mix of file dates and version numbers.

Note as well that although you can install the Win98 upgrade edition
on top of the beta, unless you installed the beta on top of Win95,
you will still have to insert your Win95 CDROM (or floppies) to
satisfy 98 that you are entitled to the upgrade.

Regards,
Bill

                                  -----