Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 08:58:39 +0300
On 3 May 2000, at 12:17, At Neethling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of software that can be used to convert mainframe binary
> data (EBCDIC) to PC binary format (ASCII).  I have large amounts of data
> that I want to transfer to my PC, but in order to do so, I have to
> translate the data from binary to character on the mainframe, do the
> transfer and then translate the data back to binary on the PC in order that
> my program(s) can use the data.  As you can see, it takes both time and
> money to do this.  I would like to simply do a binary transfer from the
> mainfram to my PC and then run a program on the data to convert it to PC
> binary format.

To add to what has already been mentioned.
It is likely that if you transfer text files from IBM mainframe to your PC,
using FTP program, and set FTP transfer to use ASCII transfer, the FTP
server of the mainframe will make the transfer automatically from
EBCDIC to ASCII.
I worked in the past with two mainframes on two different universities,
and in both cases, the transfer from EBCDIC to ASCII was automatic.

Uzi
http://members.iol.co.il/uzip/