Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Toomas Piibe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 21:55:37 +0300
From: "Ian" <[log in to unmask]>

> And I guess that later they'll all have a free hand to configure their
> setups however they want.

As administrator - yes.

> My query is this:
> I'm now going to finish the job by installing a heap of global software
> (Office, WinAmp, Mailwasher etc etc etc) but I'm not sure what'll happen if
> I install the stuff as one user.  Like - I have to enter the system as one
> of the four, right?  I mean, there's no other normal access point now except
> as one user.

Normaly no. Usually Installation detects that you install to NT line and asks
you
either install to only current user or to all users (not always). Also it is
usuall
that it asks to administrator account and password if it needs administrator
rights to install.

> So if I enter the system as say, Poppa Bear, and install this pile of
> software, are Momma Bear and the two Baby Bears gonna have access to the
> programs from their accounts?

Normally no. And if yes you can move menu and desktop shortcuts from installer
settings to All users. Only rememeber to change permissions.

> Or would it be easier to logon in Safe Mode as Administrator, delete the
> four users, set up the software, then recreate the four user accounts again?

Log on as administrator, go to control panel select User acconts. Click on
account and
change account type.  Also it is not good to use computer as administrator.
Make _NEW_ account to your normal use. Also it is sometimes recommended
to rename Administrator to something else to make hackers work harder.

Why it is not good use computer as administrator? Example:
Few weeks ago I need clean one LAN from new viruses not recognized
by Antivirus software. User surfed in web caught some virus. It installed
itself
as service and start to write all avaible shares. Only possible with user with
administrator rights. It take me about 14 hours with only few coffe breaks to
find
virus clean manually all LAN.  (Find it !7.April and submitted to Symantec.
F-Prot say that it was frist detected 7.May. Norton still can't detect it....
Could' be
because can't get updates this week)
http://www.f-prot.com/virusinfo/descriptions/ardurk.html

So learn about groups and set your normal account as power user if you need
it.  I don't know how on XP but if I remeber correctly on Win2k normal usesrs
can't install programs. Power users can if software not needs to change
system,
then you must be administrator.

Toomas

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: