Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:56:51 -0400
At 07:43 04/26/03, Leigh Jennings wrote:
>I have set up a couple of dual boot systems, one with win 98 and
>xp, the other with win 2k and xp.
>
>On one (win98/xp) I am trying to change the order of the operating
>systems on the boot up screen where you choose which OS to boot, I
>want to change it so that if no OS is selected it will boot to 98
>and not xp as it does at the moment. I'm assuming it goes to xp
>because it is at the top (it was installed later on).
>
>the win2k/xp system had a crash after a hardware upgrade and I
>ended up reinstalling win2k, I deleted xp because it no longer
>worked, however it is still listed on the os boot screen. How do
>I delete an os from this menu?

On the computer with Win98 and WinXP:

To make Win98 the default, open Control Panel, then System, then
Advanced. Choose "Startup and Recovery". Pick Settings and Edit.
You should be able to change the default operating system. Note
that the default boot OS is not necessarily the first object in
the menu you see at boot. It is the OS that's marked as default
in the text system file C:\BOOT.INI file. The Startup and
Recovery tool makes changes to the BOOT.INI file for you.

On the computer that has Win2k and used to have WinXP:

To delete an operating system from the Win2K boot menu, you
can't use the "System and Recovery tool". (Win2K's "Startup
and Recovery" utility is located in the same place, but isn't
as functional as the WinXP version. In Win2K, it will only let
you change the default boot OS and the delay time.)

You have to edit the Win2K C:\BOOT.INI file manually using
NOTEPAD. Go to C:\ and right click the file Boot.ini. Choose
"Open with..." from the drop down window. (If "Open with..."
works, remove any check mark from "Always use this program to
open these files" in the resulting window. Choose Notepad.)

If you can't get "Open with..." to work, open Notepad.

In Notepad's menu bar, click File, then Open. In the resulting
browse window, change "Files of type" to "All files" so that
boot.ini is visible. Navigate to your (C:) folder in the Browse
window. Highlight the file BOOT.INI so that it appears in the
File Name space and click Open.

First, make sure that Windows 2000 is the default boot choice.
That is, check that the third line down in BOOT.INI is

If the default boot OS is Win2K, you can go on and delete the
line(s) in BOOT.INI for WinXP. That is, delete the line(s)

Professional" /fastdetect

Save the change before closing Notepad. If the default boot OS
is not Win2K (the Win2K Windows folder is called C:\WINNT, located
in the first partition...labeled partition(1)...on the first hard
drive...called disk(0)), go to the "System and Recovery" tool and
change the default boot OS to Win2K. Then return and delete the
line(s) in boot.ini for WinXP.

By the way, if you can't find BOOT.INI, then you have Windows
set to hide all system files, and/or to hide file extensions.
Disable these stupid "features" so that you can see boot.ini.

Regards,
Bill

                         PCSOFT's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>