Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 07:20:43 -0400
Demetri,

We have had this discussion several times in the past.
You can search our archives and find a great
wealth of comments both for and against using firewalls
on DIAL UP accounts.

Yes, I am sure you are getting a lot of RANDOM hits.
But just because there is an attempt, there is no cause for
alarm.  There are a lot of wanna-be hackers that
are wandering about aimlessly making random attempts
but I'm willing to bet that the majority of them would not
know what to do next if they were to stumble upon
an "open" system.

In my opinion, there are just too many
variables involved for anyone to be successful.

In order to successfully hack into your PC,
a hacker would need to know:
Who you are.
Which IP address you will be using the next time you log on.
What day you will be logging on.
What time you will be on.

And even then it would take the hacker quite a few sessions to
find a hole in your "armor".  So unless it is someone who
knows you and is deliberitly trying to crack your specific
computer (and not just randomly looking for a target),
the chances of someone actually getting into your PC
are incredibly small.

Jim Meagher