Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:01:25 -0600
From: don penlington <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2000 2:50 AM
Subject: [PCSOFT] Virus test

> Some people, including myself, run an antivirus program without ever
having
> encountered a virus.

Same here - I've never seen a virus on my home machine, only on
computers at work.

> I run McAfee a-v, and am never quite sure whether it is properly
activated,
> or how effective it is, or what to expect if ever I did download a
> virus-infected file.  I don't have it fully activated, as I don't
think
> it's necessary for home use and don't like its invasiveness.
Therefore I
> (hopefully) have it activated only for internet.
> It would be nice if A-V programs had a "Test" button.
> Is there a dummy but harmless virus file anywhere that I could
download to
> test the system?

The following is from the McAfee "readme" file.  You can find it in the
folder where you installed Virusscan.  It is their test file.  I've
tried it by uploading this file to a Web site and then downloading it to
see what happens.  The test virus was found and access to the file was
denied - but it was downloaded OK.

* TESTING YOUR INSTALLATION *

The Eicar Standard AntiVirus Test File is a combined
effort by anti-virus vendors throughout the world to
implement one standard by which customers can verify
their anti-virus installations.

To test your installation, copy the following line
into its own file, then save the file with the name
EICAR.COM.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

The file size will be 69 or 70 bytes.

Next, start your anti-virus software and allow it to scan
the directory that contains EICAR.COM. When your software
scans this file, it will report finding the EICAR test
file.

Note that this file is NOT A VIRUS. Delete the file
when you have finished testing your installation to
avoid alarming unsuspecting users.

> Could a virus invade my computer by my simply browsing (eg via the
cache)
> as long as I don't open any .exe or similar executory files?  Or
possibly
> by playing a background music file?

Because a virus is an executable program, it is spread only by executing
a program or a script of some sort.  Playing a music file currently does
not qualify as being a means of transporting a virus.  Viewing a graphic
file should not present a problem either - only executable programs or
scripts.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html