Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:24:26 +1300
Hi Marilyn.

Have a look here:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question466.htm
for one of the best explanations I've seen on the subject of low resources.

Microsoft also have a knowledge base article, 307814, on the subject.

I have a registry patch which addresses the problem of W98 resources not being 'returned to the pool' - I'll send it to you (or anyone else) if you want it.

But there are also a couple of other possible causes of 'Low Resources', particularly if the phenomena has just begun to occur.

First, it's possible that your system is harbouring a gremlin of some kind which is eating resources.  Running Spybot, Spyware Blaster and\or HiJackThis could be rewarding.

Second, the problem may be due to a damaged normal.dot template.  I worked on a system recently that complained of not just 'low resources' but 'DANGEROUSLY LOW resources'!  Scary stuff!

But after I searched for, found and removed normal.dot, the problem went away.  Sounds pretty arcane, I know, but this isn't the first time I've seen the normal.dot template cause problems.

So try it, it won't do any harm.  Do a search for 'normal.dot' (no quotes) and either rename it (normal.anything) or delete it.  Reboot and Windows will provide a fresh one.  If you find more than one, give them all the treatment.

This template sets up your Word document preferences, so the only thing you may have to do (oddly, not always) is to reconfigure your Word settings - toolbars, buttons, margins etc.  But if you've never personalized these, you won't notice any difference.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand