Error - template STYLE-SHEET not found

From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:53:35 -0700
From: "Kent N. Jacobson"
Subject: [PCSOFT] Scan Disk - endless cycling / restarts

> Hello, All,
>
> Have a problem with Scandisk, running 98 SE.  After a Blue Screen of Death
> crash, will take several days and boot cycles for Scandisk to finally work
> properly.  Running with all background programs shut down makes no
> difference, and plenty of RAM available.
>
> For the several days it takes to finally work, will exhibit the same
> pattern.  "Checking file allocation tables" for a few seconds, then
> "Checking file folders" for a few seconds, back and forth, never getting
> through either task but just getting started on each one.  I will
> eventually get the message that the task has repeated 10 times, do you
> still want to continue?  Either answer makes no difference.
>
> After several days, Scandisk will finally run correctly, but the computer
> doesn't run properly throughout that time because there are unresolved
> errors and I can't run Scandisk to fix them.  Ideas, anyone?  Thanks.
>
> Regards, Kent Jacobson
----------------------------

Kent,

Back in the days of Win95, I used to have the same sort of problem with scandisk. I don't recall what the final
solution was, but I do remember what worked for me. This may be worth a try...

Find the following two files, (usually in C:\windows\system), then cut and paste them to a temp location other than
your desktop...
( I believe it's pstores.exe that's the culprit, and I don't think tapiexe.exe even exists in Win98, but it did in
Win95. Either way, move both if you have them. )

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE  (Protected storage server)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPIEXE.EXE   (Windows Telephony DLL hidden app)

Then try running scandisk again. If this works, then you'll have the culprit, but it's only a band-aid, and has to
be done each time you run scandisk. I've had people laugh at my solution, so if it doesn't help, please let me know
and I'll stop giving this advice.

*** Remember to put the file(s) back into \windows\system promptly after scandisk completes, or you'll run into all
kinds of other problems! ***

Al Thompson

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcsoft.shtml